Back to the 'Mont

Back to the 'Mont
The course
Claremont Golf Course
Par 71, ACR 69, 18 holes, 5667m

Claremont Golf Club is an 18 hole golf course built next to Cadbury’s chocolate factory at the end of Bourneville Crescent (mmm, chocolate). Quite often you can smell Cadbury’s cooking their latest batch and a river of chocolate waste used to flow across the 1st fairway from time to time. Those with a keen sense of smell claim to be able to pick the different types of chocolate that are being made on a given day.

View over the 17th green to Cadbury's

The outside nine holes (#1-6, #16-18) at Claremont use the Derwent River as a boundary with water also coming into play on some of the internal holes courtesy of the dam on the 9th and the newer grey water dam between the 8th and 14th holes. As the course is situated on a peninsula, there is little room to extend the length of the course to combat the recent advancements in golf equipment technology. Still, it has always been the par 3’s (including the 2nd, 4th & 15th) and longer par 4’s (5th, 7th, 13th & 16th) that have made it difficult to regularly post low scores at Claremont and this will remain the case.
The 16th hole - part of the "outside" nine

Claremont Golf Club was formerly known for the pine trees that lined and defined many of the holes. In particular, the par five 8th was lined with pine trees from tee to green penalising any shots that were sent there way. Unfortunately pine trees only have a finite life and in around the year 2000 the club made the difficult decision to remove many of the offending trees that had been residents since the 1930’s. The tree removal has drastically affected the look and playability of the course, but was required to ensure the longevity and safety of the club. It’s probably no coincidence that “the Freak” has a monopoly on Club Championships now that the course doesn’t play as tight. Having said that, Freak had already won a couple prior to the pine removal helped by his super-human ability to get himself out of any sort of trouble.

The 8th without the trees is no longer the signature hole of the course and will take years for the newer trees to impose the same level of threat that the pines did. The trees affectionately called Teddy Bear’s Picnic to the right off the tee on the 17th is another group of pines that have been removed, much to the chagrin of the resident teddy bears I’m sure.
The 17th hole with no more Teddy Bear's Picnic (and no more teddy bears)

Claremont is still a demanding and challenging course which is affected by wind on the now exposed holes. The wind whips over the peninsula on its way up or down the Derwent making drives on the holes on either side of the course very daunting, particularly with a strong sea breeze later in the afternoon. The grey water dam in the middle of the course also has the habit of gobbling a few balls now that the pines aren’t around to block the wind.

The lack of practice facilities at Claremont has always been an issue especially as Claremont is considered a “Metropolitan” course. Unfortunately the land doesn’t exist to extend the current setup and this will no doubt restrict their ability to host major golf tournaments and attract quality players. What Claremont may lack in facilities, it has always made up for with a relaxed club atmosphere, similar to Tasmania and Mowbray Golf Clubs. It’s location and scenic views can’t be faulted and anyone living in the Northern Suburbs would be a fool to be a member on any other of Hobart’s 18 hole golf courses.

Picturesque view of Mt Wellington from the 1st green

I understand that the club is looking to make changes to the course layout. Hopefully this will result in a tougher course in relation to par. Past efforts by the club in course redesign have been focussed on lengthening the course and trying to achieve a par 72 – both fruitless ventures considering the course is waterlocked. I’d personally like to see the course reduced to a par 70 with a course rating the same. I’m happy for the experts to figure out how this is best achieved but after reading about the course design of Barnbougle (Barnbougle Dunes: The Beginnings - Clayton, Doak & Schneider), I understand that length isn’t the only way to toughen up a course.

Best holes
The par four 5th hole is one of the most challenging on the course and has water in play on the right for the length of the hole. Although this is considered the hardest hole on the course, I believe that it is more difficult to make a par on the 400+ metre 7th on any given day. It’s just that it’s easier to rack up a big score on the 5th with the water hazard in play down the entire right hand side.

Worst holes
The 12th hole has it on for me. It should be such an easy hole requiring a short drive and a pitch to a narrow, but long green. By taking a direct route to the green the hole is even driveable during good conditions. I used to play it well but my standard shot shape (draw) doesn’t suit this hole at all. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a badly designed hole - I just hate it.

The par five 1st hole also rates as one of my least favourite on the course. Due to its short length it cannot be considered a true par five and gives too many golfers an advantage at the start of their round. Compare this to the first at Royal Hobart which sets your knees knocking especially when you haven’t warmed up. A four is par here for golfers of all levels.


The round
Date: 27/6/2009
Score: 76, hit greens 8/18, hit fairways 3/13, putts 27

OK so as the stats tell you, I didn’t hit the ball very well this day. I could have not blogged this round and waited until I had a better score, but in the interest of keeping this thing moving I have decided to tell you about my round of 76. I reserve the right to remove this entry and replace it with the details of a better score at a future date!

In case you aren’t aware, this marks my return to Claremont having been a member there for about 16 years from 1987. Some things never change, however, and despite my old golf gear being replaced with technologically advanced equipment it turns out that ability is the overriding factor in hitting the ball straight. I spent the majority of the day hooking my woods and irons into the left rough apart from one wicked cut on the 9th that went out to the middle of the 18th fairway. I know if I slow my swing down to a blur that I start hitting it straight but it’s hard to do in the middle of a round. It would help if there was somewhere to hit practice shots before the commencement of my round .....

I started off well, hitting the first 3 greens for regulation pars. I also played the last five holes in one under. It was the crap in the middle that was a worry.
I made a regulation par on the usually difficult par three 2nd

I didn’t putt well on the front nine where I easily converted six makeable birdie attempts into 13 putts. I only hit two greens on the back nine (16 & 17) but managed to one-putt or zero-putt (in the case of 14) all of the others. I’ve never considered myself a good putter until recently, but I think that’s because I’ve always hit my fair share of greens. It’s much easier to one-putt when you’ve had a chip rather than a full iron shot. It’s also easier to hole putts on a quality course.
Another up and down on the 18th was required after missing the green with an easy approach shot

I’m sure I’ll improve on 76 now that I’m back playing at Claremont, but it was a fair effort after a six year break. The condition of the course wasn’t that great mainly because of the rain that we have had lately and the fact the greens don’t seem to have come back that well from scarification. It didn’t seem to affect my putting though!

The 6th green looking a bit worse for wear

Best shots
I had a nice chip-in on 14 from directly under the hole. It wasn’t that great but it definitely rates a mention. My best full shot is a toss up between the 7 iron on the 7th hole from the middle of the 5th fairway and a drive I hit up the middle of the 13th, leaving myself less than a wedge to the green. I know it was less than a wedge because I hit wedge and air-mailed the green. I’d have to go with the 7 iron on the 7th. Even though the ball ultimately rolled off the right-hand edge of the green, the fact I was able to hoist it over the trees between the 5th and 7th holes got me out of potential trouble (a-la Freak).

Worst shots
If you were there this day I guess you’d say the (mild) shank I had on the par three 11th was my worst shot, but seeing as I got up and down for par I don’t think it was that bad. Worse for me was the 6 iron from 150 metres out in the middle of the 5th fairway. I reckon it went a good 40 metres left of my target even though the ball was below my feet (which would imply a fade). The ball finished under one tree and amongst many others. The fact I one-putted limited the damage to a double bogey.

Next round: Claremont (take two)
Patto
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...