Monty back to playing competitive golf after Ryder Cup

Monty back to playing competitive golf after Ryder Cup
Colin Montgomerie is under no illusions about the size of the task facing him as he returns to playing golf after leading Europe to Ryder Cup glory.

The 47-year-old Scot was happy enough with a level-par 72 at Kingsbarns in the first round of the Dunhill Links Championship, although it left him six strokes off the pace.

But after seeing how far playing partner Martin Kaymer hit the ball Montgomerie said: "Another 50 yards will help - I keep being out-driven by three-woods nowadays!"

The eight-time European number one has dropped from 135th to 425th in the world since taking on the captaincy, but is determined to try to end more than two years without even a top-10 finish.

"The standard of golf is very, very good," he said. "I know Martin is long, but if that's the competition nowadays I've got to find 20-30 yards.

"I'm using equipment that's the highest technology available, so I'll have to go the gym I'm afraid and lift weights that I've never lifted before. I've five years left (on the main Tour). I'm exempt to 2015 and I have to make an extra effort and attain new standards.

"I've really got to work at it on and off the course. I'd love to be able to come back and win again.

"I'm still very ambitious and the fact that I'm 400th-odd in the world actually made it stronger.

"I stand on the first tee and I'm raring to go - I want to win. I knew being captain would hurt my game, so it's a lot of hard work ahead, but I'm prepared to do that."

Compatriot Martin Laird, playing in the group behind, is among the leaders after his 66.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...