Rory wants Tiger @ Ryder Cup

Rory wants Tiger @ Ryder Cup
Rory McIlroy wants to go head-to-head with Tiger Woods at next week's Ryder Cup.

The Holywood superstar was yesterday tipped by Sir Nick Faldo to be one of the stars of the European team at Celtic Manor.

And the 21-year-old is certainly not short of confidence going into the event for the first time.

“It would be great to take someone like Tiger Woods down,” he said yesterday on a flying visit to the Lough Erne Resort where he is the touring professional.

“But I don't mind who I play, I just want to win points for the team.

“Whoever I come up against from the American side, I will be ready for them.”

McIlroy is looking forward to partnering fellow Ulsterman Graeme McDowell next week.

“I'm pretty certain I'll get a game with him next week, if not more,” he said.

“We have done well together in the past and we do play well together and feed off one another quite well on the course.”

The excitement of the competition against the Americans is starting to get to McIlroy who earlier this week maintained that majors and world golf championships were more important.

“I can't wait to get over there on Monday now,” he said.

“Everyone is really excited about the week and Europe have got a great side which should hopefully get the Ryder Cup back.

“I do suffer from first tee nerves sometimes and I'm sure I'll get them at the Ryder Cup, but once the first tee shot is on its way you are just thinking about winning a point for the team.

“Once I'm there and get into it, there'll be nothing that I will want more than to win the Ryder Cup back for Europe. For that week it will be the most important week for me.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...