Smoltz high and outside in Nationwide debut

Smoltz high and outside in Nationwide debut

Former Atlanta Brave pitcher John Smoltz's debut on the Nationwide Tour did not go as planned as he shot 84-87 to miss the cut by 27 strokes. Playing on a sponsor's exemption in the rain delayed South Georgia Classic, he struggled to find his game in his first professional tournament.

"I never got in a rhythm," said Smoltz. "I'm not used to a lot of things out here, but that's what's neat about a tournament like this. The delays are not something you practice for, but you have to get used to it. You don't want to shoot the score I shot, but certainly, I'll be better for it tomorrow."

"I'm disappointed like anyone would be," he said. "I don't think I've shot 84 in the last five months, or maybe even the last five years."

It goes to show how much more difficult golf is when playing a real tournament compared with typical rounds with buddies.

As a former top notch athlete in another sport, he should continue trying with golf. Maybe he should be the next pupil on the Haney Project.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...