Mickelson talks about lifestyle changes after psoriatic arthritis, trying to take over #1

Mickelson talks about lifestyle changes after psoriatic arthritis, trying to take over #1


At The Barclays this week, for the ninth time this year, Phil Mickelson can overtake Tiger Woods as the No. 1 player in the world.

There are 10 mathematical scenarios by which Mickelson could claim the top spot in the Official World Golf Ranking for the first time in his career. But Woods will remain No. 1 as long as he finishes ahead of or tied with Mickelson at Ridgewood Country Club this week.

"I've been trying real hard to accomplish that. I just haven't played well enough yet," Mickelson said. "But hopefully I'll be able to put it together this week. I feel like I'm playing much better golf. I've been working on my driver again trying to get that thing in play, and I think I've kind of come on to something there, adding a little bit more loft and just getting the ball in play. So I expect to drive the ball well and hopefully have a good week.

A win obviously would give Mickelson, who ranks fourth in the FedExCup standings, the top spot. So would solo second if Woods does not win. Here are the other scenarios.

Mickelson could go to No. 1 if:

• he is third alone and Tiger is outside top 4

• he is fourth alone and Tiger is outside top 8

• he is fifth alone and Tiger is outside top 14

• he is sixth alone and Tiger is outside top 21

• he is seventh alone and Tiger is outside top 32

• he is eighth alone and Tiger is outside top 52

• he is ninth alone and Tiger is outside top 58 or misses cut

• he is 10th alone and Tiger is outside top 58 or misses cut

Mickelson, who shot 75 on a rainy Wednesday in the pro-am, won the Masters earlier this year and tied for fourth at the U.S. Open. His best finish since Pebble Beach, though, was a tie for 12th at the PGA on the strength of a closing 67.

Mickelson revealed at the PGA that he has been suffering from psoriatic arthritis, which now appears to be under control with shots and a vegetarian diet. So while the world No. 1 ranking is nice for the resume, Mickelson has had other concerns.

"I haven't thought about it too much," he acknowledged. "I'm trying to win. I'm trying to compete in tournaments and I haven't played that well the last couple of months.

"But, again, I feel like my game's been coming around. I've been able to practice and work hard. I feel great. I'm looking forward to the next five weeks."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...