Tiger working with Canadian swing coach Sean Foley?

Tiger working with Canadian swing coach Sean Foley?

HAVEN, Wisc. - Tiger Woods appeared to have taken his head out of the nether regions Tuesday in what has to be a last-ditch psyche job to make a run at the season's last major.

A revealing press conference found him determined to shake off last week's career-worst 18-over-par meltdown at the Bridgestone Invitational, the nadir of a slide that began with his tumultuous offseason.

Woods, who was at his most maudlin in Akron on Sunday, even said he wants a spot on Corey Pavin's Ryder Cup roster and that he planned to make the team on points with a strong showing at Whistling Straits this week. He also admitted that he could take on a new swing coach after consulting Sean Foley, who walked along with Woods Tuesday as he played with Foley's two students, Hunter Mahan and Sean O'Hair.

Still in danger of losing his No. 1 world ranking to Phil Mickelson or Steve Stricker this week, Woods is falling back on lessons his father taught him.

"Just life in general the last nine months has been very difficult," he said. "But just like my dad always said, 'Just keep living.' That's something that I have taken to heart quite a bit. And there were quite a few times that I've definitely said that to myself.

"I've been through periods when I've hit it bad. And, yeah, is your confidence not where it needs to be? Of course. I've been there. We have all been there.

"But the whole idea is to keep making progress each and every day. And that's one of the things I am excited about the last few days is I made some good progress, and I've got one more day tomorrow."

Woods was on the range working on that most basic of things - keeping his head still during the swing. As Woods began the takeaway, caddie Steve Williams held a club on his shoulder as if he was knighting him.

Woods asked Foley to film his swing during the round. It wasn't the first time he has consulted with the hot Canadian instructor; Woods also practiced with O'Hair and Mahan in May at the Players Championship - just before the split with Hank Haney - during which he asked Foley to check his positions.

"I wouldn't say that I'm working with him," Foley said after the round. "But the possibility is there."

Said Woods: "Certainly it's a possibility. No doubt. But there are also a lot of other coaches out there (who are) a possibility, as well. ...I did ask him to film a couple, I would like to take a look at it, which I did, so I'm heading in the right direction."

He'd better. Woods has never gone winless in a PGA Tour season, and this week will certainly set a tone for the remainder of the year, including the Ryder Cup. The eight automatic spots on the U.S. roster will be finalized this week with Woods currently 10th on the points list.

Non-committal before this week, Woods seemed gung-ho about it yesterday. He said he would accept being a captain's pick, but "I would like to be able to play myself onto that team."



Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_tiger_mulls_swing_shift.html#ixzz0wIIeW13r
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...