Garcia impressive in wind swept round 2 @ the JB Were

Garcia impressive in wind swept round 2 @ the JB Were
SERGIO Garcia has produced a stunning round at a windswept Victoria Golf Club to move into contention at the Australian Masters.

The tournament's other major drawcard _ 14-time major winner Tiger Woods _ laboured to a one-over 72 this afternoon to concede 36-hole pacesetter Adam Bland a widening nine strokes in blustery conditions with the weather forecast to further deteriorate for tomorrow’s third round.

Woods has the job ahead as he searches for his breakthrough tournament victory in a barren 2010 season.

Australian Bland maintained his cracking pace from his opening round 65 to fire a four-under 67 to be 10-under 132 and lead by two strokes from compatriot Andre Stolz (67-67) at the halfway stage.

While Brand was relishing his opportunity to upstage the tournament drawcards, former world number one Woods was frustrated by a round littered with four bogeys and three birdies in winds that gusted around 60 km/h (37mph) for most of the day.

"It was tougher today and when the wind blows this hard it affects everybody,'' Woods said.

"I was struggling with the swing a bit today, but I was as committed to it as I possibly could, it was just a little bit more difficult than I thought it would be, but I got through it.

"It was pretty blustery out there, it was tough, and I just had a hard time on the greens again.

"I over-read every putt because the greens were slower than they were yesterday and it was hard to believe that they weren't going to swing.''

Garcia started the second round in danger of missing the cut but finished his 18 holes breathing down the neck of the leaders. His round was truly exceptional The Spaniard, starting his day at the 10th, fired six birdies in a bogey-free round.

"I am happy about my round," Garcia said.

"I guess it is a little bit funny. It (summarises) my golf game at the moment. Some rounds are special, some rounds are not that great. We're trying to get back into it."

The highlight of Garcia's round was his birdie at the par four 3rd when he holed the ball from off the green. His ball striking was exceptional - he pierced the fairway from the tee and only missed one green. Not bad for a bloke who took two months off earlier this year because he was struggling with his game and motivation.

"As the round started I was getting more and more comfortable," he said.

"I got off to a good start which always helps. It just seemed like it was one of those days where even though it was quite difficult because of the conditions, we were making the right decisions all the time.

"If you put that with the way I hit the ball today, to tell you the truth....it wasn't like the lowest I could have shot today. I hit so many good shots."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...