Mike Weir to start 2011 PGA Tour season on a major medical exemption

Mike Weir to start 2011 PGA Tour season on a major medical exemption
Mike Weir, who has been nursing a torn ligament in his right elbow, will start the 2011 PGA TOUR season playing on a major medical exemption.

That means Weir will have five events to earn enough money to equal that of the player who finishes No. 125 on the 2010 money list. If he does, he will be fully exempt for the 2011 season. If not, he will still have status as a past champion.

Weir earned $559,092 this season. With the PGA TOUR's final event to be played next week, Troy Matteson currently stands 125th on the money list with $723,328.

"I'm going to come out prepared and ready, and I fully believe I won't have any trouble reaching that goal," Weir wrote in a blog on his website.

The injury first surfaced during the British Open. Weir has not played since the Wyndham Championship, opting to treat the injury with rest and rehabiliation rather than surgery.

"In the last week or so I've been actually taking a few shots -- nothing too serious, just doing a little pitching and chipping and hitting a couple of 5-irons off a tee," Weir wrote. "I'm slowly trying to see where it is and how it feels and so far, so good. My doctors are pleased with how the recovery is going.

"I'm not yet ready to try hitting into the ground -- I'm still a little worried about impact -- but these small steps have been encouraging. Still, there's no guarantee about anything yet in the recovery. It's a day-to-day thing."

Weir does plan to play in the Shark Shootout Dec. 10-12 in Naples, Fla. He will partner with K.J. Choi in what is the tournament debut for both men.

"I know I won't be able to go full bore there such as hit buckets and buckets of practice balls, but I'm itching to get going again and I hope that will be the start," Weir wrote.

Weir has taken advantage of the break from competition to spend time with his family, go fishing and run a 5K charity event. He's also made his own wine -- picking the grapes off his property, renting a press and putting the liquid into a carboy to ferment.

Weir also said in his blog that he plans to be his own swing coach, much like the way he handles his fitness routine and mental game. His long-time caddie Brennan Little will be his "second set of eyes" and he can also go see instructor Mike Wilson, if necessary.

"It's all about taking ownership of my game," Weir said. "While this layoff has been good in that it allowed me to recharge the batteries and assess my situation, I'm also anxious to get back out there."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...