Ryo Ishikawa to give all 2011 winning to Japan relief effort

Ryo Ishikawa to give all 2011 winning to Japan relief effort


Ryo Ishikawa, the biggest name in Japanese golf, has announced he is giving all his winnings this season to the earthquake relief fund in his home country.

The 19-year-old told reporters at Augusta National, where he will play his third Masters next week, that he will also be donating £750 for every birdie he makes during the year.

"I know recovery in the quake-affected areas will take a long time - I'd like to strive together with the victims in recovery efforts," he said. "I have enough money to spend for my golf. I still have savings - I believe this is the most positive way for me to spend money."

Ishikawa has already earned over £3.3million from the Japanese Tour alone since turning professional three years ago, and has a string of lucrative sponsorship deals.

He won his first title on the circuit as a 15-year-old amateur and has had eight more since, including The Crowns last year after a closing 58 - the lowest round on any major tour in history.

The earthquake struck while he was competing at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami three weeks ago. He was in second place after an opening 65, but after speaking to his family and watching coverage of the tragedy he dropped back to 42nd place.

"It's beyond being a distraction for me - I'm worried for the whole country of Japan," he said at the time.

"The fact that I was finally able to communicate with my parents did help me feel so much better. I just tried to focus, but it is a battle out there for me.

"Sendai is quite far way from where my parents live. From the Tokyo area it's some 250 miles away.

"It is not possible to block something of this magnitude out completely, but I understand that in the position that I am, together with the other star athletes from Japan and other sporting areas, we can provide encouragement and hope for the people of Japan by myself doing the job."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...