Lesson follow up

Lesson follow up
So, you helped me with this but now I am at the over-rotation stage hitting hooks. Part is my inside out swing path but also over rotation of my hands and my misses are left. How do I find the right balance?

If you are hooking the ball, there are usually 2 reasons for this. As you pointed out, The first is over rotating the hands. The second, in conjunction with rotating hands, is strength of grip.

To reduce over activity of the hands I use an excellent teaching aid to reduce wrist rotation. It is a regular pitching wedge, with a broken shaft jammed down a hole in the end of the grip. (See picture below) This teaching aid is great for reducing unnecessary wrist action, and should be used to improve pitch shots and chipping. The extra length of the shaft on the club will act as resistance during the swing. If your hands activate too early, you will get whacked in the ribs. It can hurt, but the lesson learned is well worth the pain.

Before you attempt to reduce rotation, take a look at your grip. If you find yourself in the strong grip position, you have two options. Cut back on wrist rotation, or weaken your grip.

My teaching leans towards the theory of a neutral grip, and I prefer the practice of a good release because it allows golfers to hit the ball farther. Lets be honest, who doesn’t like more distance…

Divide the grip of the club right down the middle. That line in the middle is a reference point for your left hand. If your left-hand thumb is barely touching, or not touching the line at all, and is positioned to the right side. This is a strong grip. This type of grip requires that little to no rotation of the hands be executed. If you rotate in this position, you will hook the ball.

If your left-hand thumb is directly on top of the line, you will need an extremely aggressive rotation of the hands to hook the ball.

The trick is to find the happy medium. I often fall into a stronger grip over time. This is a bad habit and a problem I have to monitor. I end up hooking the ball from this bad habit.

Tip: Depending on how strong your grip is would help me advise you as to which course of action you should pursue. If your grip is strong, I would weaken it. If the grip is within an acceptable range, I would tone down the rotation of the hands.

Build yourself a training aid and commit to some practice with it, and you will see an improved wrist action in your golf swing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...