Golf Lesson #11. Putting Check List

Golf Lesson #11. Putting Check List
I was playing golf this past weekend with some friends and family at Old Mill, a local Utah golf course, and through the first couple holes I really wasn't putting the ball all that well. I then analyzed my putting and went through my check list for certain things that I was supposed to remember when I putt. Because I had a check list to ensure I was executing my stroke correctly, I was able to find a flaw in my stroke. I wasn't leaning on my front foot. Once I spotted the problem, I then leaned on my front leg, trying to create a 60/40 weight displacement with the majority of the weight on my front leg. I then started putting the ball with better speed and consistency, and I even made a couple birdies too. Be sure to have a check list of your own for your putting so when you notice a little inconsistency you can work it out and get back on track.

Here is my check list:

1. Stance (shoulder width apart)
2. Ball position (forward in stance)
3. Posture (Slightly flexed knees, back straight, bend at the hips)
4. Weight distribution (60/40 on front foot)
5. Keep the putter on plane with my forearms
6. Firm wrists
7. Keep my head steady
8. Swing with the shoulders


My check list is a bit long, but they are very important parts to my putting stroke. I highly recommend compiling together a check list for your routine so when you are noticing something a little out of the ordinary in your game, you can get it straightened out while you play. I suggest a shorter list with maybe 4 or 5 points to emphasize on, or if you have a good memory, go with more. This is also great for full swing and chipping.

I hope you enjoyed this golf lesson. Please comment with more questions about areas of your game that you are looking to improve, and I'll write a post just for you. Thanks for reading.

Weston Maughan
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...