Wie makes it to round of 16 at the Sybase Match Play

Wie makes it to round of 16 at the Sybase Match Play
Michelle Wie easily advanced to the round of 16 in the Sybase Match Play Championship on Friday, beating Hee Young Park 5 and 4 on a warm, humid afternoon at hilly Hamilton Farm.

The eighth-seeded Wie will face 57th-seeded Karine Icher on Saturday morning, with the winner advancing to the afternoon quarterfinals.

"I'm just trying to hit fairways and greens and make some putts," Wie said. "It's definitely a grind out there."

Icher, from France, beat Eun-Hee Ji 2 and 1.

With by far the largest gallery following Wie, the 20-year-old Stanford student took a 4-up lead on the front nine and ended the match with a par on No. 14.

Wie won the Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Mexico in November for her first LPGA Tour title and has two top-six finishes in six events this year.

"You never know with match play," Wie said. "I'm just going to go out there and play my hardest. ... I put pressure on myself to play the best I can."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...