NFL hall of famer Jerry Rice DQ'd from Nationwide event

NFL hall of famer Jerry Rice DQ'd from Nationwide event
Maybe Jerry Rice should have stuck to football.

The Hall of Fame receiver was disqualified from the Nationwide Tour event in Mill Spring, N.C., yesterday because his caddie used a range-finding scope to check yardages. The disqualification came a day after Rice shot a 92, the highest round since the BMW Charity Pro-Am began in 1992.

“A rookie mistake that I made,’’ Rice said with a smile. “So I got DQed.’’

Rice announced after a second-round 82 that he’s done competing on golf’s Triple A circuit.

“Because I can’t commit to golf the way I want to, this is probably my last Nationwide Tour event,’’ Rice said. “These guys, they’re working their butts off and they deserve to be out here.’’

The error by his caddie means that Rice won’t take part in today’s third round, the last before the celebrity event cuts the field for tomorrow’s finale.

Rice was in violation of Rule 14.3, which prevents competitors from using a yardage measuring device. His caddie checked the yardage scope several times during the round at The Carolina Country Club.

Rice was told in the scorer’s tent after improving to an 82 at Bright’s Creek Golf Club. The BMW Charity Pro-Am is played over three courses in North and South Carolina.

Rice was gracious and jovial with his partners and the fans, some who had his famous No. 80 49ers jersey for him to sign.

Right now, Rice thinks his golf future is purely recreational. He’s glad for the chance to try and the perspective he received from other pros.

“Like I said, this was not a publicity stunt,’’ Rice said. “I came out here, I played hard, and I tried my best.’’

-Boston.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...