The Monday Caddie

The Monday Caddie
AP photo / Chris Stewart

CHAMPIONS TOUR

Tom Watson birdied the 18th hole to beat Fred Couples by one stroke and take the Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai in Hawaii.

Tied at 21 under par, both Watson and Couples had good looks at birdie on 18. Couples barely missed a 10 footer on the low side, leaving the door open for Watson.

This putt was somewhat similar to the one Watson missed on the 18th at the British Open for the win. This time, he looked a lot more confident, stepped up, and knocked it in.

"I was thinking, don't make a stroke like I made at Turnberry," Watson said. "'Make a good stroke like I thought I was going to do at Turnberry and didn't do. I can make this."

Watson had stated that his goal was to get at least one win this year because he failed to win any tournaments last year. He knocked that goal out of the way quickly by winning the season opener on the Champions Tour.

Fred Couples made a strong showing in his Champions Tour debut by finishing alone in second. "There hasn't been many times in my career when I've shot 21 under and not won the golf tournament," Couples said afterword.

EUROPEAN TOUR

AP photo / Chris Carlson

The Bob Hope Classic is set for a Monday finish and Bubba Watson is tied for the lead with Alex Prugh at 23 under par.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...