Using pH to Check For a Leak??

Using pH to Check For a Leak??
Desperate times call for desperate measures.



Recently back from the Golf Industry Show, the first order of business was to look at a leaking valve or what I thought was a leaking valve.  You will have to read on to understand the desperate measures. 



Before I left for the show, there was casual water spread across the 18th approach.  It was just after the major cleanup that took place shortly after the storm.  We had water coming from the cap of a valve box, across the 18th approach. 



When I came back the valve was still full of water.  Lane and I got right into digging the valve up to inspect the saddle that fed the lateral.  As we were digging, I was sure that water was coming up from the valve or saddle area.  Lane insisted it was ground water from the storm but I wanted to make sure since I was more than half way.  I kept digging until the mainline and saddle were exposed.  I siphoned the water from the hole. I cleaned and inspected all around the junction point.  I could not find any problems.



I sent Lane to open the closed valves and charge the section we had isolated.  Once the water filled the pipes nothing had changed.  The valve box would fill up with water at the same rate with or without isolation.  This got me confused.  I thought about our situation for a while and then it hit me.  Why not check the pH of the water in the hole and compare it with the pH from the water in the irrigation line.



With others questioning my sanity I filled the little tube full of the water from the hole.  I filled the other tube from a nearby quick coupler.  I added the testing solution to each tube and then sat back and observed.  Wouldn't you know it.  Our irrigation water was pH 7.6, the water in the hole came out to be a pH less than 6.5.  It actually worked!  It was a simple science experiment that helped save our backs. 



Even though we did not find any cracks or breaks, it was worth checking to rule out any possibilities of failure.  I was surprised when the pH readings were on opposite sides of the spectrum.  You learn something new everyday. 



Justin C Ruiz, CGCS

justinr@therimgolfclub.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...